Thursday, October 24, 2013

Literature Analysis #3



Leonardo Da Vinci
Topics and/or Events:
1A) A little is known about the life of Leonardo Da Vinci. He kept copious notebooks, but these contain only sketches and speculations. Much of what we know of him comes from tax records, legal documents, and secondhand sources. Leonardo was born on April 15, 1452, in the town of Vinci. His father was Ser Piero, a notary; his mother, Caterina, who came from a peasant family. When Leonardo was about 15, he moved to the nearby city of Florence and became an apprentice of Andrea Del Verrochio. Around the age of 30, Leonardo began his own practice, starting work on the adoration of the Magi; however, he soon abandoned it and moved to Milan in 1482. In Milan he drew the drawing Virgin of the Rocks and many other drawing that stood out to him. After some years he began to work on a bronze horse, a monument of Sforza’s father. Leonardo’s design was grand but was never completed. Soon after Leonardo became interested in art and mathematics.
B)  When Leonardo was in his mid-30’s he found his calling, was to draw/paint and continue to pursue mathematics.
                2) I’m not really sure why the author chose to write about Leonardo De Vinci, but I do know that Leonardo De Vinci is an amazing, well known artist who we haven’t been able to know what he did and/or everything he accomplished in his life.
                3) I chose this book because I’ve always loved Leonardo De Vinci’s paintings/art. As an artist myself I see his art in a whole different perspective. His work is just incredible. It amazes me how he can make drawings come to life. Nothing really inspired me to keep reading other than to continue learning about one of my favorite artists.
                4) Yes the book was realistic. The book was just a Biography of what Leonardo De Vinci did throughout his entire life. I compared him to other famous artists, but he was completely more advanced/ahead of them, because of the fact that he’s also an inventor.
People:
1)      No the author didn’t make characters up. All the character’s he stated were at one time living. I’m not sure if I were to see Leonardo differently if I met him in person.  The author of this biography speaks highly of Leonardo. Perhaps he wouldn’t have been so great in my eye, but his art would still stand out to me.
2)      The only character present I this book is Leonardo De Vinci. I think if he were in a fictional book he’d be interpreted as a brilliant, ugly man with a huge nose, and an amazing artist.
3)      The protagonist is Dynamic because at first he doesn’t know what he’s capable of and doesn’t know what he’d like to do as a career, just like any other person in the birth of their lives. It wasn’t until his mid30’s when he discovered what his true passions were.
More on Characters/People:
1)      The book only supplies the reader with direct characterization:
·         Leonardo became court painter and engineer to Louis XII and worked on a second version of the Virgin of the Rock.
·         In 1516, he left Italy for France, joining King Frances I in Amboise, whom he served as a wise philosopher for three years before his death in 1519.
2.) No I don’t think the author tries to capture change in this book. He’s strictly just stating fact about Leonardo.
3) Leonardo De Vinci does in fact change, but it’s a decision that changes not him as a person. He decides to change his career from engineer to philosopher.
4) I feel like I read a person in this book. The book didn’t supply me with emotions or feeling that Leonardo felt didn’t get to know who he was. I only learned what he did.
Style:
1)      The author used the journalistic style of writing in his biography. He speaks of the struggles and achievements that Leonardo Da Vinci experienced.
2)      The author uses lengthy descriptions on people and places that were present in Leonardo’s life. The effect of this is we learn where Leonardo visited and the people he would communicate with.
3)      In this particular piece of writing doesn’t the author doesn’t really express mood or tone.
4)      I think the writer is completely fascinated Leonardo’s work; in fact, he states that he is a fan of Da Vinci’s.
5)      The author used historical documents as a resource to his writing. I do think it matters, because it’s important to know where I’m receiving this information from and if that resource is reliable.
Enduring Memory:
                One thing that I will remember from this biography based on Leonardo Da Vinci is the fact that he was so multi-talented. I admire how he was so diverse in his masterpieces. He was a sculpture, mathematician, artist, engineer, and even an architect. This fact persuades me to believe that nothing is out of my reach. We have an exponential amount of knowledge about Leonardo’s experiences and discoveries, but I find it fascinating that even today we’re learning more and more about him. It amazes me on how much a man can accomplish in a single life spam.

No comments:

Post a Comment