Friday, January 31, 2014

LITERATURE ANALYSIS

NON-FICTION ANALYSIS:
Topics and/or Events-
1.) Diving into Darkness is a book about two divers, Don Shirley and David Shaw, who one day decided to dive to the extended depths of Bushman's Hole. After months and months of preparing for this stun they decide to give it a try. Both of them determined to reach the depths in which no one has ever done before. In the process of doing so David Shaw gets tangled up in a line and is drowned to death. Then the books ends with David Shaw's wife revealing the stuggles she faced after the death of her husband.
2.) I think that the author decided to write about this topic/ event because he wanted to take a moment and recognize the courage and passion that these two divers represented. He wants to continue the amazing legacy.
3.) I chose this book because it was the only book available to me at the time. I continued to read it once I started it not only because it was the only book in my reach but because of the way the author describes a man who is completely committed to one thing and that one thing that he loves so passionately kills him.
4.) Yeah I did find the book realistic. I compared David Shaw with myself and how I'm very passionate about soccer and how I try to be the best at what I do.

People:
1.) The author directly states that Don Shirley was a way better diver than David Shaw in the beginning of the book, but as David Shaw continues to practice quite frequently and continues to gain skill every day. He eventually gets to the level in which Don Shirley was in.
2.) Yes the author shows that David Shaw develops and changes throughout the story. At first he didn't know a single thing about diving and then all of a sudden becomes really really good at it. Not just that but he's alive in the beginning of the book and dead towards the end of the book.
3.) The protagonist is a dynamic character because he's constantly changing throughout the book.
4.) I felt like I read a character. Usually when I meet someone I slowly go through a process of getting to know then and asking them questions and about themselves. In this book the author tells us directly about each one of  the characters.

Style:
1.) The author used tools for fiction writing such as foreshadowing.  He foreshadows that diving will be the end of himself. The thing he cared about most n this world was going to kill him.
2.) The author focuses more on action than dialogue or in other words an interaction between the characters. The book is mainly about the actions and steps they took to over come obstacles in their lifes.
3.) He uses the tools of including the actions and dialogue that went with the the risks they took.
4.) I think the author was very appreciative of the actions Don Shirley and David Shaw took.
5.) The author includes a news broadcast in the news paper. It gives me a sense of reality, that this actually took place.



No comments:

Post a Comment