Sunday, February 23, 2014

MASTERPIECE ESSAY



  Matthew Berumen
Period: 0
2/23/14

Masterpiece Essay

Of all the majors and careers available to me in the world I have chosen to dedicate my time and life to becoming an Architectural engineer.  At first this path wasn’t so clear to me.  Like everyone else I was once confused and had no idea as to what I can see myself doing for a living.  Growing up I had the classic dream of becoming a police officer or a fire fighter.  Then over time I wanted so passionately to become a teacher.  My 7th grade teacher, Mrs. Tapia, was the reason for my sudden switch in careers.  She believe in me succeeding when no one else did, not even myself.  She was constantly there motivating me to do the best of my potential.  For a brief moment I wanted to be that motivating source in helping people accomplish great things.  Once I entered high school my career path changed again.  I wanted to become a doctor.  Throughout high school I’ve taken Biology, Chemistry, and Anatomy.  These were the courses that influenced me into wanting to become a doctor and also because I was receiving good grades from each of these classes.  So as you can see I’ve been really indecisive about what I want to do for the rest of my life and forgive me for trying to choose the best career for myself possible.  It wasn’t until the end of junior year when I found out my calling.
            During the summer of the year 2013 my family and I decided to go to Jalisco, Mexico for a vacation.  It was like meeting the family again for the first time because I hadn’t been there since the age of 5.  I found out unexpectedly that my uncle, Raul Berumen, is an architectural engineer and for some reason it really interested me.  I’m sure if anyone else had an opportunity to bug their uncle to death about what he does for a living they would take advantage of the opportunity.  So that’s exactly what I did, I was investigating the life style of being an Architectural Engineer.  Like anything else there are some advantages and disadvantages in pursuing this career.  After he explained it to me he gave me a once in a life time opportunity to accompany him at work.  During my visit he was working on a huge Mall project.  They had already designed it on paper, now all that was left was to construct it.  That’s when I completely fell in love with Architecture.  I love the thought of creating something on paper and bringing it to life in reality. 
            I’ve really enjoyed the past few weeks in Dr. Preston’s class because I’ve been discussing with some of my peers who share the same major as me about their perspective on Architectural Engineering.  Not just that but also researching and learning more about what architects do and the different opportunities that open up to you when you become one.  So this is where I’m currently at.  Now I need to take that huge leap forward in my journey of becoming an Architectural Engineer.

5 comments:

  1. Ambitious career path and great blog. Would you like to join my network?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to invite you to my network. i feel that you could be of use to me within my network. either now or in the future. please write back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah of course I'll join your network. Please join mine as well. we should definitely get together to come up with some new ideas

      Delete
  3. Hey man Im kind of stuck between architecture and engineer as they are as diffferent as they are similar, but anyway please join my network and ill join yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah man of course I'll join your network. We should definitely get together to come up with some ideas.

      Delete